Written for the 50+ audience, the book is relevant to people of all ages. It brings all my knowledge of job search right up-to-date and my publisher has laid things out beautifully.
Access your free 20 page sample of Find Work at 50+ by signing up to my 50+ mailing list.
You will also get access to relevant tips and articles to help the prime job seeker by more successful.
Read a book review here – 50+ Book review and more on Amazon
Download the full contents list. 50+ Contents page or see below:
You will also be kept up to date with
- List of activities
- About the author
- Foreword by John Lees
Chapter 1 Introduction
- The changing world of work
- Being clear on what you want
- 21st century job search
- Addressing stereotypes
- Make our age an asset
Chapter 2 Mind-set
- Dealing with disappointments
- How are you feeling about your job search?
- Positive action
- Our beliefs can affect our outcomes
- Turning things around
Chapter 3 What am I going to do?
- Being clear on your job-search goal
- Why do I want a new job?
- What could I do?
- What would I like to do?
- In what industry would I like to work?
- What are the growth areas? Labour market information
- Are you a credible applicant?
Chapter 4 Why should I get the job?
- Being clear on what I want
- Personality I understand who I am
- I know what makes me uniquely valuable to potential employers
- Your value proposition
Chapter 5 Processes and systems
- Managing your time
- Systems and admin
- Your job-search plan
- Who will hold you accountable?
- Finding your next job
Chapter 6 Im 65+
- When we feel our age
- Phased retirement
- Time for an adventure
- Cross-generational friendships
- Revisit other chapters
Chapter 7 Connecting with others
- Who we know
- The 10-second story
- Building your tribe (connections)
- When connecting can be helpful
- Practical guidance
Chapter 8 21st-century CVs
- The 9-second review
- Lets review your CV
- Different styles of CV
- The chronological CV
- The combination (skills-based) CV
- Applying online/Applicant Tracking System (ATS) software
- Finding the right key words
- The final review
Chapter 9 LinkedIn and social media
- The importance of social media
- Getting started
- Getting ready to connect
- Recommendations and endorsements
- Research and networking on LinkedIn
- Make LinkedIn part of a weekly routine
- What about other social media?
Chapter 10 Promoting yourself and being found
- Being found
- A consistent message
- More than one CV
- Talks and Presentations
- Growing your online presence
Chapter 11 Taking a direct approach
- Introducing the direct approach
- How it works
- Create your letters
- Follow up with a phone call
- An alternative approach knock on doors
Chapter 12 Traditional job search
- Finding job vacancies
- The process
- Cover letters and e-notes
- Application forms
- Submit applications and follow up
Chapter 13 Alternatives to a permanent full-time job
- What can you offer?
- Interim management/Contracting
- Project working/Act like a consultant
- Portfolio working
- Freelance working
- When you need a survival job
Chapter 14 Interviews at 50+
- Typical interview questions
- Questions aimed at 50+ candidates
- Interview practice
- Mental preparation
- Preparing a 90-day plan
- The day of the interview
- Post-interview evaluation
- If you don’t get the job
Chapter 15 Staying motivated
- Dealing with rejection
- Confidence and self-talk
- What might help
- Measure your progress
Chapter 16 Staying employable
- Take ownership for your development
- Learning styles
- Where to learn
- To develop new skills to move into a new area you could
Some employers who welcome older applicants